Payment for Articles
For contracted articles that are published, we pay $25 per article. We do not pay for articles that are submitted past deadline, do not meet our guidelines, or that are not suitable for publication. We do not pay for unsolicited articles or return original materials submitted.
Piedmont Family Magazine reserves the right to edit any articles submitted for publication.
All articles become the property of Piedmont Family Magazine and may be reprinted only with written permission from the editor.
Piedmont Family Magazine is a reader-friendly, family-oriented publication, and we strive to provide informative and interesting articles that are fun to read and meet the needs of our core audiences. We do accept a variety of stories and writing styles and welcome reader input. Here are some guidelines that will help craft a story more likely to be published:
- Articles should be of interest to a wide segment of our readers, and relate to one of the themes on our editorial calendar.
- Articles may be written in first person, when conveying a personal story or for reader contributed content such as advertiser news and “Places We Love to Visit.”
- In most cases, feature articles should be written in third person.
- Feature articles should include expert quotes that cite name, title, business affiliation.
- When possible, quotes or examples from local families can be included. When used, identify at least the first and last name and city. First name only is OK if subject matter is controversial or if the interviewee requests.
- Follow AP style.
- If submitted, photos should be at least 3×5” at 300dpi. We will need a photo release signed by the photographer and any identifiable people in the photo. For stock photos, we will need permission to use in this publication.
- It is best to include some tie to the local communities – Prince William, Fauquier or Culpeper – in the form of quotes from parents or experts or references to local businesses either in the main article or as a sidebar.
- Include a 2-3 sentence bio stating your relevant professional, educational, or personal background as well as where you live.
Send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or Piedmont Family Magazine
PO Box 3571, Warrenton VA 20188. Materials cannot be returned.